Hey friends, I don’t know about you, but around here it’s been quite a downer of a week. It just seems that all the news from both friends and the world at large, is H.E.A.V.Y.
Sure, sometimes the appropriate response is a sarcastic “Your problems are soooo real!”
We need safe places to be real about our mess, but we also need to balance our pain with the discipline of genuine gratitude.
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes. 5:18
So, after a week of ugly politics, continued war, hard diagnoses, hurting marriages, and loss on many fronts, here’s some stuff I’m thankful for.
- Real politics may have us banging our head against a wall, but we’ll always have West Wing reruns.
2. Instagram, because it’s all the fun, inspiring stuff
and, well, Instagram PUPPIES because who doesn’t need a cute puppy to cheer them up?
3. Texts from my daughters doing fun things.
Katy bowling at the White House.
Maggie competing on the Tesla ping pong team.
4. Things that make me uncomfortable, but challenge me to grow.
“That which I refuse to thank Christ for, I refuse to believe Christ can redeem.” Ann Voskamp
6. An oldie, but an appropriate goodie.
So today, this…
And then….sometimes we just need to wallow in our sadness. And by that I mean turn off CNN and watch a Lifetime movie with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.