How Can You Become a Mentor?
How can I be a mentor?
Who are 3 people you’d like to get to know better and potentially serve or influence in some way? Spend some time with them, Pray for them. Write a note of encouragement. Ask good questions. It doesn’t have to be “official” or structured for God to use you!
Mentors can help fellow travelers on a spiritual journey recognize and name a desire, hunger, need, conviction, sin or thirst for God.
Mentors help others listen to God, others, and the world around them. We need to hold them before the Lord…We don’t need to DO.
We can offer questions like these:
- What are you longing for in your relationship with God?
- Where do you see God at work in your life right now?
- What is your biggest challenge or temptation?
- What lies at the root of your most persistent longings? Your most persistent fears?
- Where are you wounded and longing for healing? What has brought you pain?
- Where are you not living out of your true identity in Christ? (Where are you dependent on approval or validation from others?)
- What do you need from me as a friend and fellow believer to go on to maturity in Christ Jesus?
Listen to God, listen to the other, and remind them they’re doing ok. They’re enough because God is enough.